- This event has passed.
CFE Tax Advisers FORUM : Fair Taxation of the Digital Economy
April 19 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Digitalisation is changing the way economies operate, new business models are being created and the relationship between business, its customers and suppliers is being reconfigured.
Digitalisation is increasingly a feature of all parts of the economy; even more “traditional” businesses are benefiting from digitalisation to grow their business, lower operating costs and expand across borders.
The 2015 OECD BEPS Action 1 Report concluded that
The digital economy is increasingly becoming the economy itself, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to ring-fence the digital economy from the rest of the economy for tax purposes.
There is a public perception that the features of the digital economy present opportunities to undermine the traditional methods of taxing corporate profits and some compensating adjustments are necessary.
Is that the case? If it is, how should policy makers and legislatures address the issues while at the same time encouraging innovation and growth and avoiding double taxation and tax uncertainty.
The 2018 CFE Tax Advisers Europe Forum will examine the following questions:
- What are the features of business models in the digital economy?
- Does the prevalence of intangible assets and the role of data introduce new considerations in value creation?
- What are the best solutions for reconciling innovation and growth of the digital economy whilst ensuring fair taxation?
- How will the European Commission proposals affect the taxation of the digital economy and what do these proposals mean for tax practitioners working with digital clients?
- What are the challenges from an indirect tax perspective and how do the new European Commission proposals address those challenges?